DIY velvet pumpkins are the prettiest fall decoration!
Fall means pumpkins! 🎃
Better yet, velvet pumpkins make for some gorgeous and unique fall home decor, so here’s a fun DIY tutorial so you can make your very own velvet pumpkins at home for cheap!
And it’s easy to make them – here’s how:
These trendy plush velvet pumpkins sold at home decor stores and online boutiques can be a little pricey, but they’re actually pretty simple to make! We especially love the DIY version because the options are endless using any fabric you want while still getting a high-end look.
I mixed up my pumpkins by using some Crushed Panne Velvet and upholstery fabric I found on clearance. Then all you do is cut circle shapes out of fabric, hand stitch around the edges, then stuff with dried beans and fiber stuffing. Easy peasy, right?!
DIY Velvet Pumpkins
Here are a few DIY tips to keep in mind when making velvet pumpkins:
- Collect dry stems from real pumpkins, gourds, etc. or you can use cut-up branches for a more rustic look. To glam them up, you could even spray-paint them gold or silver.
- Instead of using expensive velvet fabric, you could opt for this Crushed Panne Velvet which comes in many colors and is only $8.24 a yard – super cheap compared to the other expensive options!
- Go thrift shopping for cheap fabrics. There are many ways to save at thrift stores, so why not shop for some unique fabric while you’re there? Plus, more than likely you’ll end up paying way less than buying it new.
- Don’t be intimidated by hand stitching. I’m NOT an experienced sewer AT ALL! If it’s been a while since your hands have touched a needle & thread, read this helpful post explaining a running stitch and double thread, which is also what I used. It’s an older post, but it’s still extremely helpful!
- Use an extra strong thread. This is very important so that when you’re pulling your thread tightly to close the top of the pumpkin thread won’t break.
These whimsical velvet pumpkins are so fun to make! 😍
They look so cute grouped together for a festive centerpiece or on a large tray or bowl. Grab a group of friends, and make this a fun fall craft activity!
Thinking about buying some velvet pumpkins instead?
Set of 3 Small Velvet Pumpkins $31.99 (regularly $37.49)
*As another option, score Your Heart’s Content velvet pumpkins from $12.79 each on Etsy.com.
As you probably already know, Amazon has everything – including trendy, handmade velvet pumpkins. If you’re looking for quick shipping and gorgeous fall decor, this listing fits the bill!